Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Kidz Bop Killz

I didn't look last night, but I'm pretty sure it was a full moon. The campers were off the walls today!

My Kidz Bop nightmare got worse. If there's one thing that makes my ears bleed more than Kidz Bop, it's the Crazy Frog song. Both play all the time at camp. I didn't think it could get any worse, but I was wrong. There is a Kidz Bop version of Crazy Frog. A piece of me dies every time I hear this awful song...which is a lot.

A plus side of working at summer camp: Looking like a hot mess everyday is acceptable. It's silly to spend time doing your hair and make-up when its just going to come off in the pool...so I don't waste my time doing it.
A down side: You have to keep up with shaving your legs...my least favorite thing to do. Here is an example of this (it happened to another counselor):
A camper was sitting in the counselor's lap, rubbing her legs.
Camper: "Are those splinters in your legs?"
Counselor: "Uhh no, that's hair."

Today in the pool it was 'see how many people can hang on Steph day'...except I missed the memo. I think at one point I had six little nuggets on me.

We got walkie talkies for the counselors! What a great day! All of the counselors are coming up with code names to use. I was having trouble coming up with one, so I turned to my team for help. Some of their ideas were: Crib Head, Stick, Stephaloonie, Beep Bo. I decided 'The Hulk'.

Camper: "I think we just need to swim 100 laps real quick."

Me: "Why did you kick him?"
Camper 1: "Because he asked me to."
Nice try buddy.

A quick way to get the campers quiet: Ask them to spell 'supercalifragilisticexpialidocious'. It gets silent almost instantly.

Camper: "What are luxury taxes?"
I did my best to explain them to a six year old...good thing I taught econ!
Me: "Where did you hear the word 'luxury tax'?"
Camper: "Monopoly."

One of my preschoolers from a couple summers ago is now all grown up and in the K-1 camp. As a preschooler this camper ate grass. When told to stop eating the grass, this camper responded "But I only eat the white part!". I thought maybe since this camper is a couple years older, the grass eating habit would be done. Much to my surprise, I caught this camper eating grass today. When I asked him to stop he gave the exact same answer as he did two summers ago. Some things never change.

Counselor: "What are some things we should never do to our camp friends?"
Camper: "Definitely never kiss them!"

An hour after morning snack...
Camper: "When do we get to eat lunch?"
I knew I always liked this camper.

And just for the record, dominated a camper in a race...no big deal.

No comments:

Post a Comment